Tech Talk

Are You Using the Right Filters?

June 11, 2019

Instagram is meant to be authentic and organic, but there is a fine line between authentic and personal. Other than creating separate personal and professional Instagram pages, how can you ensure that your content is resonating with your clientele?

Try creating a set of brand filters.

We’re not referring to those Instagram filters you use to make your selfies flawless. Rather, think of brand filters as a way of sorting your content. They can help you make the decision: to post, or not to post.

Your brand filters are essentially a set of standards or criteria that all of your content must meet before it’s published. Kind of like picking out an outfit. Is it the right choice for the occasion? Just as you wouldn’t wear your workout clothes to a company dinner, your personal vacation pictures do not belong on your professional page!

You don’t need to overthink it. To create your filters, ask yourself:

  • What business are you in?
  • What are you selling?
  • Who are you trying to reach?
  • What would they like to see?

For a salon or stylist, your brand filters might include:

  • Brand Identity: colors, symbols
  • Hair & Beauty: your work, inspiration images
  • Trends/Seasonal: specific styles or occasions
  • Products: new arrivals, featured collections, how-to’s
  • Personality

Yes, “personality” can be a brand filter—not to be confused with personal! Personality posts are where you can share a little of yourself by injecting some fun and humor into your feed. Using this filter will help bring your brand to life, connect with your followers, and differentiate you from competitors.

Be mindful with your personality posts; they should account for no more than 10% of your content. While these posts don’t have to be directly related to your products and services, they must relate to your target clientele and their interests. The other 90% should showcase your service and retail offerings, encompassed by the rest of your brand filters.

It’s important to strike a balance between the various types of content you publish. You don’t want your Instagram feed to only showcase hair pictures, as your followers will lose interest. Take a multi-faceted approach by using your brand filters to display everything you have to offer.

You Might Also Like

Don't Miss Out

Be the first to get exclusive content, the latest news and more!