One of the biggest challenges salon owners and managers face is getting their entire team on board. This challenge can be apparent during staff incentives, events, key focuses, launching new policies or protocols, etc.
While getting everyone on the same page can be difficult for any business, it’s far from impossible! As we know, businesses are only as strong as their team, so it’s essential that every member is given the opportunity to participate in all initiatives.
Ideally, you want to create an inclusive culture that embraces all members and takes full advantage of their skills and passions. One of the best ways to do this is to speak their language.
As individuals, we are all unique. Therefore, we process information and learn differently. What makes perfect sense to me might miss the mark completely for you. This is why it’s essential to be aware of how you transmit information to your team members.
According to the VARK model, there are 4 types of learners. Some people are a combination of two or three, while others are more specific to one form of learning.
- Need to see the information and its relationship to the content
- Utilize images, flip charts, and other visual aids
- Need to hear, rather than see or read the information
- Reciting, repeating, and teach-backs are ideal
- Absorb information through words and text
- Need to take notes and prefer handouts that summarize the content
- Like doing, hands-on activities
- Give them a task or exercise that demonstrates the message
- Role playing can also be effective
By taking the time to adapt to the various learning styles of your team, you will get a stronger “buy-in”. Keeping these methods in mind will help you become a more effective communicator, both in team meetings and everyday business activities.